Family Law | Mediation | Collaborative Law | Alternative Dispute Resolution | Estate Planning
Terri Harrington is a founding owner of Harrington Brewster Mahoney Smits P.C. and a dedicated mediator. Terri has practiced law since 1982 and specialized in family law cases for the last 30 years. Terri is an expert in divorce representation, conflict coaching, mediation, early neutral evaluation and collaborative law and has been honored for over ten years by the Martindale-Hubbell Bar Register of Preeminent Women Lawyers which honors those women who received the highest possible rating in both legal ability and ethical standards from their peers. Terri has been awarded Super Lawyer status.
Terri is founder and past president of the Colorado Collaborative Divorce Professionals, past president of the Rocky Mountain Collaborative Law Professionals, a current member of the Executive Council of the Family Law Section of the Colorado Bar Association, past president of Metro Denver Interdisciplinary Committee, a member of the International Academy of Collaborative Professionals, a member of AFCC, and past co-chair of the Colorado Bar’s Task Force on the Uniform Collaborative Law Act. She was awarded the Pioneer Award by Colorado Collaborative Divorce Professionals.
Terri has taught Collaborative Law Training for many years to hundreds of attorneys and other divorce professionals and is frequently asked to be a guest speaker at the law schools at the University of Denver, the University of Colorado, the Colorado Family Law Institute, other colleges, and the Colorado Collaborative Law Professionals conferences. She has taught Collaborative Law at the Family Law Basic Skills class for three years. She conducts numerous trainings in the areas of mediation, peacemaking, and collaborative practice, and is a lecturer for local Continuing Legal Education programs. She has co- chaired the Rocky Mountain ADR Spiritual Retreat for many years. She volunteers to take mediation cases pro bono for Arapahoe and Douglas county and volunteers with Metro Volunteer Lawyers. Terri has mentored hundreds of law students, young attorneys and attorneys new to Colorado.
Terri worked tirelessly for ten years for the enactment of Colorado’s Collaborative Law statute. Terri was awarded the 2022 Family Law ICON award in 2022.
Terri loves to teach alternatives to litigated divorce in order to ease the trauma inflicted on the parents and children.
- University of Denver College of Law, Denver, Colorado
- J.D. - 1982
- University of Nebraska
- Colorado, 1982
- Colorado Bar Association, Family Law Section – past member of the Executive Council
- Colorado Bar’s Task Force on the Uniform Collaborative Law Act, Co-Chair
- Colorado Collaborative Divorce Professionals, Founder and Past President
- International Academy of Collaborative Professionals
- Metro Denver Interdisciplinary Committee, Past President
- Rocky Mountain Collaborative Law Professionals, Past President
- Collaborative Law, Contributing Author
- A New Model for Dispute Resolution, Contributing Author
- 2022 Icon Award from the Colorado Bar Association/Family Law Section
- 2023 Lawyer of the Year for Family Law Mediation- Best Lawyers
- Martindale-Hubbell Bar Register of Preeminent Women Lawyers – 10+ Years
- Super Lawyers – 10+ Years
- Denver Post Top Attorney - 2018
Classes & Seminars
- Guest Speaker, University of Denver and the University of Colorado
- Lecturer, Continuing Legal Education Programs
- Trainer, Level One and Advanced Collaborative Law Trainings
- Jefferson County, State Public Defender, 1982 to 1987